You will need:
- Unscented soap (e.g. Dove's Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar)
- Resistant paper towel (e.g. Bounty)
- Cling wrap (e.g. Glad)
- Aquaphor healing lotion (if not available at the pharmacy, get Bacitin)
- Aveeno Moisturising lotion
- Sunblock of at least 30spf (once healed)
Do not remove the plastic wrap applied during the session. Sleep overnight with it.
Wash your hands with unscented soap and then, unwrap your tattoo (it will be very oozy, but that's normal). Using a clean paper towel, wipe the ooze off the skin. Make sure to apply enough pressure to clean properly.
Rinse the tattoo thoroughly with a bit of soap on your hands.
Use a new clean paper towel to dry your tattoo by gently PATTING the area. Do not use a cloth towel, washcloth, or a cheap brand of paper towel because it will leave fibers on your tattoo which can cause infection.
Repeat this process as many times as possible throughout the whole day.
At this point, the secretions will have stopped (no more ooze). If not, don't worry, some people heal slower. Just keep washing it 2-3 times daily repeating the day 2 cleaning process
If the area is dry or itchy, apply a small amount of Aquaphor (pea size). Repeat this 2 times a day maximum. DO NOT OVERAPPLY!
*Tattoo will peel within 5-10 days.
Once the tattoo is fully healed. Use Aveeno lotion to moisturize your skin.
Getting a tattoo is an invasive procedure, and a tattoo is a fresh wound! Always wash your hands before touching it during the healing process, and don't let others touch it!
You should also avoid the following
- Crowded nightclubs and excessive drinking, this is a very common cause for infections for people who just got a tattoo.
- Do not scratch your tattoo, yes, it will be itchy but resist the urge!
- Don't pick or pull at the flaking/scabbing skin. It can delay healing, cause fading, and increase the chances of infection. Let the skin fall off naturally.
- Do not let your pets touch your tattoo, this is another common source of infection.
- Do not go swimming in a pool/lake for 2 weeks after you get your tattoo, the chlorine in a pool or the bacterias of a lake can damage a fresh tattoo.
- Direct sunlight on your tattoo for AT LEAST 4-6 weeks. You should always wear sunblock on your tattoo (after it has healed) for the rest of your life unless you are okay with your tattoo fading over time. THE SUN DAMAGES TATTOO PIGMENTS.